Sunday, October 5, 2008

Baseball Fever Flashback

Baseball fever is heating up now that the first round of the playoffs are mostly done (sorry, Brewers). I was living in my glory days, too, watching my Twins World Series DVD.

What a trip down memory lane! Carter watched it with me so I dug out my Homer Hankies to show him what everyone was waving. I also had to explain a little bit about fashion -- and explaining '80s fashion (can we call it fashion?) is much more difficult than explaining the rules of baseball, trust me. I immediately noted the plethora of acid-washed jeans and he noticed all the guys had mustaches. I said, "Daddy used to have a mustache like that!" I promised I'd dig up a picture for him.

Watching the games was like an immediate flashback for me. The '87 series was especially exciting because I was able to go to several games at the Dome that summer and knew every player on the team. I was in my sophomore year in college that fall and ended up watching all the games with another girl on our wing who was a big fan. When Hrbek hit the grand slam, I said to Carter, "We were screaming when this happened!" It was cool to relive that.

In the '91 series against the Braves, I was living on my own on the east side of Wisconsin (far away from Minnesota) with a crappy little TV and not a Twins fan in sight. I did have some fun ribbing my sister and brother-in-law who were living outside Atlanta at the time. What could be more fun than that?

Earlier this summer, Carter got to watch a DVD of the Reds World Series (a Father's Day gift for Jim). I reminded him tonight that being a fan can be pretty cool. Maybe our teams have only made it to the big game a few times in our lifetimes, but it's such a treat when they do! And I have every confidence I'll get to wave my Homer Hanky again some day....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re 1981 - I still say Hrbck (sp) cheated !!!!!

St. Paul

Anonymous said...

OOPS - meant 1991

Paul