Monday, October 20, 2008

The Birds and the Bees

We often find that our dear 10-year-old is more apt to share parts of his day with his babysitter than his parents. By the time we pick him up and ask what he did that day, we usually get the "nothing" response.

Today when I picked him up, the babysitter and her husband said, "Oh Carter was just telling us he learned about the birds and bees on Friday."

Quite surprised, I exclaimed, "You did?! Why didn't you tell me?"

He replies, "Because you already know (about that subject)."

That's not what I meant. What I meant was ... well you know what I meant.

So then they say he was talking about his girlfriend. Really in the dark now, I ask, "Your girlfriend?"

He says, "You know. From Kidz Camp."

A lightbulb turned on. I turn to the babysitter and say, "Did Carter mention this 'girlfriend' is in college?"

Oh that got a response. I was not liking the direction this conversation was going -- birds and the bees, a college girlfriend -- but I was not going to let up until I had some answers.

On the way home, I asked if this was a lesson in class or what. He said, no, he learned that in second grade. "My friend (anonymous) was just talking about it at lunch."

He was talking about it at lunch? "How does he know anything more than anyone else? Did his parents teach him?"

No, says Carter. "He probably learned in on YouTube."

Oh. My. God. I don't know how I managed to keep the car on the road -- what with my life flashing before my eyes and all.

I did tell Carter that if he ever had questions, he could ask Daddy or me. He just said he wondered what this had to do with birds and bees. Since my mommy mind was mush, I said maybe we'd have to look up the history of the phrase on the Internet -- but we are definitely steering clear of YouTube for that one. Just a hunch.

Must go breathe into a paper bag now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kept waiting for the punchline to be literal birds and bees...but doesn't look that's the case...it's good you have a babysitter that's mature enough to tell you these things!

Anonymous said...

I guess if you want a life of roller-coaster emotions, you need to have a 10-year-old in your life, huh?? :)