Sunday, October 19, 2008

Murphy's Law & Order

Murphy's law is an adage in Western culture that
broadly states, "if anything can go wrong, it will."

I was just plain exhausted by the time I went to bed last night after two nights in a row of limited sleep. I sat in the hot tub a bit before bedtime and it must have really relaxed me. I slept long and hard. The problem was the "long" part.

When I went to bed I did not set my alarm. I knew I was not going to be a hero and get up for 8 o'clock church. So I figured I'd just get up for Sunday School, which starts at 9:10 a.m. I'm always awake around 8 on the weekends anyway.

Murphy's Law strikes!

It never fails that the one time I don't set my alarm on Sunday morning I actually sleep in until 8:40 -- giving me 15 minutes to shower, dress and get out the door. Carter had been awake since 7:30 but never came to wake me up. I can't blame him just because he sneaks in our room and begs me to make cinnamon rolls just about every other weekend.

So I made a decision that in order to get out of the house on time, I'd skip the coffee and cereal. I would just shower, throw some sweats on, drop him off at Sunday School, then get some quick grocery shopping done at Wal-Mart.

Murphy's Law strikes again!

It never fails that I can go for weeks without seeing anyone I know in my twice-weekly (or more) sojourns to the supercenter, but the one morning I have wet, flat hair, no makeup and am wearing lovely, figure flattering sweats, I run into 4 people I know!

When we got home, I pretty much stayed close to home. I was afraid of what would happen next! We did get to watch the Vikings on TV. I don't think they lost because of Murphy's Law ... unless it's because I washed my game-day lounge pants!

I knew I should have done that in the off-season! Dang that Murphy...

No comments: