Sunday, October 26, 2008

Son-Day

You'd think it would have been a boring Sunday what with the Vikings (and Packers) on a bye week. Such was not the case.

Carter and I got up early to get to 8 o'clock church. This morning I had to be the reader for the first time ever. Why did I lose sleep over it? I don't know. I shouldn't have been nervous. I mean I speak in front of crowds (albeit small ones) more often than you might realize. And I had the text ahead of time for practice. But these were the world's longest scripture readings (for some special reformation service), plus there were a handful of tricky "thou" and "sayeth" parts. And I didn't know if the microphone was working and didn't want to do one of those "Can you hear me now?" things.

When I got back to the pew, Carter said, "Good job, Mom." So if he actually listened to the readings, then I really did do a good job (ha).

This afternoon the "big boys" came out and the in-laws came over (Jim's parents and sister and her family). Yesterday, Clay turned 16 so we were celebrating with cake and ice cream. It was nice to have sons 1, 2 and 3 together again. The last time the Austin 5 was together, and I wish I was kidding, was for my birthday extravaganza back in June.

That's sad. But I can't be mad about it. I realize when I was a teenager it was pretty tortuous spending family time with just my twin and my parents (ask me about a very long trip to Canada sometime). Of course, now I'd give anything to see my twin and my parents more often! Funny how the perspective changes.

The only depressing event of the day was the brief snowfall. Cross my heart. It's true! I tried to get a picture but it looked more like rain. Honest, we all saw it. You probably heard us cursing for miles! Thankfully, it was short-lived -- like less than 5 minutes -- but there is supposed to be more on the way tonight, landing in random spots across Minnesota and Wisconsin. I hope it's not falling right now, under the cover of darkness. I swear if I wake up to snow on the deck, I am heading South (and my sister in Texas better leave her door unlocked!).

Too bad there wasn't some warm sun on Sunday. That's OK. Just ask my hubby. Rain or shine, we'll take the son-day anytime.

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Honey-Child, the door is always unlocked for you and your kinfolk!