Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Game Night

Between our Vikings and Carter's classmates, we saw some pretty good games last night!

Let's start with those fun fifth-graders. All of the parents of fifth-graders at Grant were invited to a meeting disguised as a volleyball game. First, we listened to the three teachers explain their teaching philosophy, rules on homework, how the letter grade system works, etc. Then we got to the fun.

Sitting there in the lunchroom and seeing all the kids and parents, I was wondering how we were going to set up the game, sub people in, etc. Turns out, it wasn't that complicated. They had all the kids on one side of the net and all the parents on the other. All of them! That's like at least 50 on a side! Then we played with a beach ball and there were very few rules. You could hit as many times as you wanted. There were no boundaries. Just don't let it touch the floor on your side or the other team gets a point.

I was standing right in the middle on our side, visiting with one of the other moms, and the ball never came near me. (I'm so glad I bothered with tennis shoes and a sports bra. Thank god I didn't bring my kneepads.) After calling the kids-parents duel a tie, they had all the "boys" versus all the "girls." I am sure we lost by a ton but the male teacher wisely said the girls won no matter what. Smart guy.

We got home in time for a quick supper and then Monday Night Football :: Saints hosting the Vikings.

We told Carter he could stay up until halftime and that's it. Honestly, the game went past my bedtime, too! At some point in the third or fourth quarter I fell asleep on the couch for a little bit. But then stayed up for the rest of the fourth quarter. It was worth it! All the work and tension just to go 2-3! Crazy, isn't it?

I am dragging a bit today but smiling. And relieved that Carter broke the curse. Just because his team lost on Saturday, doesn't mean the Vikings did, too. This weekend, though, I'd rather they both win!

No comments: