Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Optical Delusion

Gas prices are dropping. And in Wisconsin Rapids, for a few hours, they were dirt cheap. By accident.

It's made the national news wires: On Monday, a gas station here accidentally programmed their gas to be 34.9 cents per gallon instead of $3.49. So a person gases up, realizes the mistake, calls a friend and they gas up, too.

The station owner estimated 30 to 40 customers fueled up at the incorrect price — between 200 and 300 gallons worth — for about 90 minutes. Did no one think that they should tell the manager? Apparently, when it comes to getting cheap gas, no one has a guilty conscience. We deserve it, right? I'm just glad that for the moment -- and I say moment because it could be changing as I type -- that the prices have dropped a bit.

When we saw yesterday that gas prices had dipped below $3 a gallon (for real), Carter says, "Man, they're giving it away!" I don't think he realizes Daddy is sarcastic when he says that!

How did we get brainwashed into thinking gas under $3 is a bargain? It doesn't seem that long ago when gas was sitting at $2.25 and hubby and I (who commute 45 mile to work) said, "If gas ever gets close to $3, we better consider moving or getting new jobs." Then, bam! We're suddenly inching our way to $4.

I feel like this old-timer talking about gas under $2 in the good ol' days. Of course, after getting my dreadful 401K statement in the mail yesterday, I will be an old-timer -- very old -- before I can retire! Sheesh! Things sure were different back in the day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way over and up here in NW Wisconsin where we only get Minnesota news channels, your Wis Rapids story about the cheap gas made the 5 o'clock news. I wonder what would I do if I drove up to the pump and saw 34.9 cents? Fill 'er up please!!
No, I think I would ?? and I am hoping I would be the party pooper and tell management!! I only have an IRA passbook with little in it -but Rick's 401K I know took a real nosedive- it's scary. Just 9 months ago we felt good about him being able to retire at age 70, now we don't know. Now where can i find that info on planning for your funeral, so it's paid for b/4 I die? Okay, Robyn - this wasn't "on the Light Side"! Love, Romey