Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hole-Hearted

Sometimes we don't know the impact something has until it's gone, leaving a hole in its wake.

When I was doing some family tree investigating earlier this year, we found the foundation for my great-grandparents' home. Nothing there any more but a hole and some bricks. I wish the house was still there so I could see where they lived and how. But over time, the weeds grew there and it was forgotten.

Sometimes we'll come across footprints on the beach or in a snowy field and wonder who trod before us. Where were they going? Why did they choose this path? Did they see the same beautiful scenery we do? Eventually new snowfall fills the old footprints or the waves lap at the shoreline, erasing any evidence of man's path.

Sometimes when we lose someone we love, we find a hole in our heart. No matter how big or small that hole is, it's painful. An actual physical pain we can feel from our watering eyes down to our chest. We wonder if eventually someone will come along to fill it. I don't think it works that way.

I learned today my friend, colleague and mentor Karen has lost her battle with cancer. And it was a battle. The woman I knew and loved was feisty 'til the end, still optimistic she could beat this monster. For Karen, there is no longer pain, thank God. For her friends and family, we have painful holes in our hearts that we know no one could fill like she did. Ever.

Please take time today -- and every day -- to think about who is filling your heart and tell them! Don't wait until they leave a hole. Even the little ones hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very intuitive and heartfelt post today, Mrs. Austin. My heart goes out to you upon recently hearing of Karen's passing. Although I never met her, I know she was a force larger than life in many ways, simply by hearing about and seeing the impact she's had on you.

Keep breathing, even when it hurts to just do that. Because although the hole doesn't completely disappear, it gets smaller and begins to serve as a well of memories instead of heartache and tears.

Anonymous said...

I so sorry to hear about your friend Karen's passing. I know this must really hurt, but I hope your happy memories help ease the hurt even a little.