Monday, October 6, 2008

Great Expectations :: Part 2

I'm expecting a pretty solemn day at work today. Not many people have anything to cheer about. Locally, the Iola-Scandinavia football team got their butts kicked in homecoming this weekend. Then there was the Badgers loss, the Packers loss, the Brewers loss...

Maybe it's a good thing my Vikes don't play until tonight. Though I do not have any unrealistic expectations we're going to run away with a win or anything. We don't always expect a win, or expect things to go well, but we certainly hope for it!

Speaking of expectations... It wasn't that long ago I was talking about having realistic expectations -- not lowering your standards, but being reasonable. I got thinking of this again because my mother is having a party tonight. One of those in-home parties where you invite the ladies and make a dessert for them to enjoy after some product demonstration. You know the drill. In this case, it's Tastefully Simple (one of my sisters is a consultant).

Mom was fretting last week about how she was going to fit everyone in her house. "How many people did you invite?" I asked. "I don't know," she said. Hmmm. She knows. My mom knows exact numbers on things, believe me. But I played dumb and explained the law of averages of home parties to her. Usually about a quarter to a third of the people show up. That's why coordinators want you to invite 30 people because they hope 6-10 show up (or more, of course). Mom is having an "open house" format anyway so not all the people will be there at the same time. I also reminded her people are busy -- they may want to come but they may have something else going on. Plus, this is't a once-in-a-lifetime event like a anniversary or birthday party.

I have since found out from my sister that Mom invited 80 people. 80! I told her she better get ahold of that list. We'll need it in a few years for Mom's 80th birthday party!

I hope she does have a wonderful turnout, but keeps some realistic expectations in the back of her head. Just like I hope for a great game tonight but am not expecting one.

Not that I know anything, mind you. I'm just a kid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there may be a few of us out there reading this blog that remember about a year ago. We didn't expect a "large turnout" like our parents did. I think we all were eating our words as we got the biggest surprise of our life at that room filled full of people. It was a GREAT day after all the prep work and work was done. R#8