Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Change of Scenery


You know winter has gone on too long when we wake up, look out the window and have to note the fact that "Guess what? It did NOT snow last night!" It was a bit frosty this morning but no accumulations of anything for the first time in a long time.

I am really going to enjoy the change of scenery when spring finally arrives. Heck, by then we might as well skip straight on to summer! Sigh...

My dad is also enjoying a change of scenery. Sort of. While he has been bedridden for the last 10 days or so, not leaving his room at the nursing home for anything, that changed this week. Both yesterday and today he had the staff wheel him down to the lunchroom for a meal with "the guys." Sure it was one meal, but this is significant to us kids who are monitoring his status hourly at times. Monday he wanted nothing to do with anything. And now, he does.

His 97-year-old buddy Stan (you remember Spry Stanley) told my sister, "He says he needs to have a different attitude!" And if anyone can help my dad get that, it's Spry Stanley.

Plus, a person can only spend so much time laying in bed, counting ceiling tiles.

I wish I was kidding. I just got off the phone with my mom and she said he's been doing that. When one of his daughters asked him how many there are, he just answered: "Many." That's my dad!

Here's hoping we all get the change of scenery we are looking for.

I know quite a few of us would love to see a real, live high school baseball game. A few people I know just want to see a new group of faces besides the hovering nurses and pesky children. And most of us would love to see green grass.

At least we got that dandelion problem under control this year.

(So far.)

No comments: