Monday, April 8, 2013

Ups and Downs

This roller coaster the past few days has provided quite the ride! And while there have been ups, downs, slight bumps of optimism and bigger bumps of despair, one thing has remained constant.

Support.

My dad has family and friends praying for him and that line of support extends out among each of us 8 kids, who have our own incredible networks of family and friends praying for him and us. For that, I thank you.

I'm sure when you "signed on" to read about the Light Side of life you weren't aware I'd drag you along for my dark moments, too. I won't apologize. For me, writing is my therapy. It's how I work through things and get myself right in my head and my heart. Not always at the same time, but I try.

Dad has actually unearthed an old network of friends in his new home. He and this one resident go back way before I was born. I call him spry Stanley. At 97 years old, he is like the nursing home ambassador, wheeling around by himself in his wheelchair and stopping by to cheer people up, especially his old friend LeRoy.

Yesterday, he stopped in while I was there and he says to my dad, "You know, LeRoy, when I first came in here I thought I was going to die. But the next day, I didn't see my funeral notice in the papers so I knew I had a chance. You do, too!"

Hard not to cry when you witness a 97-year-old giving a pep talk to a young 85-year-old! Mainly because that is how I pictured my dad -- typically full of that type of spirit -- would be at this age. Maybe he will be yet. Another doctor is going to do more tests to see if maybe we can't extend that deadline for the Pearly Gates. To the best of my ability, I am remaining realistic and not getting my hopes up.

I am just staying buckled in my seat, holding onto the bar.

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I couldn't do this without YOU!

No comments: