Monday, April 15, 2013

Running on Empty

For awhile this morning, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself as I dealt with aches and pains resulting from yesterday's trail run. On the way to work, I was even thinking about the Boston Marathon today and how my discomfort was nothing like they'd feel after 26.2 miles. Maybe close, but not quite as bad.

But now I know that nothing I have felt could compare to what they experienced at the finish line.

For some, it was pure elation. For others, so close to the end, it was surreal. And not in a good way. We don't even know the details of the "why" or "how" exactly, but we know the "what" is that there were two explosions near the finish line that ultimately killed 3 people (including a child) and injured around a hundred. Those are just the numbers at this moment.

How tragic! I can't even comprehend the reasoning behind this. I mean, whoever did this certainly couldn't be targeting runners, could they? I highly doubt it.

Let me tell you a little bit about the running community. We may be competitive but we are also very supportive. Cheering on friends and strangers until the last runner or walker crosses the finish line.

Take yesterday, for example. While struggling up one of the "mountains," I muttered (or expelled loudly) to myself, "I'm getting too old for this!" The woman running next to me asks my age. I say, "44." She says, "Well I'm 53. Come on. We can do this!"

That is how we roll, er, run.

Of all the races I have run -- from 5Ks to the long half-marathon -- never ever in my wildest dreams would I imagine I was in danger. Maybe slightly concerned about injury, but never ever would I think I could die or lose a limb due to a senseless act of violence. Never.

It was so stunning to hear this today. I have a friend who ran the Boston just last year. This year she didn't run it. All her memories are associated with a hot day last year and the thrill of crossing the finish line after miles and miles and miles of seeing and hearing supportive fans along the route.

I hope that authorities can uncover the motive to this tragedy today. I would hate for this to reflect negatively on Boston and its ability to host this world-renown event -- or on the running community as a whole.

We deserve to cross that finish line without any fear.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone impacted by today's events. Lord, please bless Boston.



1 comment: