Friday, April 19, 2013

Sn-OMG!

Snow-my-gosh! That sums up what we are thinking in the Northwoods today.

Waking up in my parents' house to see more than a foot of snow (officially 14.4 inches), I had to ask my mom: "Did Santa Come?"

It sure looked like it, but no, it wasn't Christmas morning. Santa did send a neighborly "elf" to plow out my parents's driveway. Plus I got about an hour of cardio in digging out my vehicle and the deck, plus the back door that we could not push open from the inside. Before heading outside with the pretty orange shovel, I asked Mom if she had some boots around the house. Yes, I wore boots, but I explained, "Mom, these are fashion boots, not snow boots!"

Well she could only locate one boot in a pair in their basement and the other full pair was in Mom's frozen-shut car. So I had to sacrifice those favorite boots of mine. Have I mentioned winter sucks?

At least the roads were way better than yesterday so Mom and I could get up to see Dad by mid-morning.

Dad was not too talkative today either but was awake more than yesterday. Schools were closed in Grantsburg plus the power was out so we were just grateful to see him OK -- especially since he needs his oxygen and his oxygen machine requires electricity. Thank goodness for generators!

I think all power was restored at some point in the afternoon. Talked short conversations with Dad. Told him the Packers had signed on Clay Matthews another 5 years and that the Vikings had signed on an older quarterback. He says, "Brett Favre?"

Figures -- he doesn't talk or engage in conversation 95% of the time and when he does he manages to crack a joke and pick on my Vikings at the same time. Love that man!

The rest of the day was a blur of visitors as my sister Rayna arrived from Texas and eventually four other sisters visited. That was the most I had seen Dad awake and talking, but he quickly tired. So we left him after supper and actually all went to a funeral visitation for an old family friend, then went out to eat for fish fries, burgers and cheese curds.

Tonight, Rayna and I are having a slumber party at Mom's while back in Wisconsin Rapids, Carter did not play baseball (again) and will get to sleep in tomorrow since they won't be playing then either. Not a foot of snow there, just plenty of rain that was topped with a little of the white stuff today.

It better be gone when I head back tomorrow. Not that anything is in my control, but I would think Mother Nature would be over her temper tantrum by now.

Have a cheese curd and get over it, lady.

No comments: