Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My Fair Lady

I took a cue from my 85-year-old mother, who had nine entries in the Polk County fair this year and got eight ribbons plus a Grand Champion on her Cultural Art entry.

When she was telling me about this a few weeks ago, I said, "Hey, maybe I'll try to enter some photos in the fair here." She was all over it, encouraging me to not only enter photos but baked goods, too, and maybe a plant. As you can see from the photo, she grows blue ribbon African Violets. Me. Not so much.

I told her I'd stick with some pictures for this first time and see how the whole process goes. One, I have never even been to the Central Wisconsin State Fair in Marshfield (Wood County). Two, I have no idea how big it is or how many exhibitors it draws. Not that I shy away from competition, but the last time I had something judged for the fair, I was in 4-H.

Since I was on a somewhat tight deadline to register, I just picked some random pictures that fit categories and went with that. There are like 20 categories. I could have gone crazy but I had a deadline to meet to register plus get the matte 8x10s in the mail.

Today was the day to drop off the entries so I took part of the afternoon off to find the fairgrounds first, and then find the right building! Everyone thinks it's easy to find since it's home the World's Largest Round Barn.


Anyway, I got where I needed to be. Here are my 8, yes 8, entries. You be the judge. Haha.

Make a wish! (Category: Black and White)
Clouds at Dusk in Wisconsin Rapids. (Category: Clouds)

Spring rain. (Category: Spring)
Loon on Soo Lake. (Category: Summer)

Eagle near the Wisconsin River. (Category: Bird)

Moo-ving closer! (Category: Animal).
This always makes me laugh, so what the heck.
Sun sets on the farm, taken near Hwy 10. (Category: Sunset)

"I roped one in!" (Category: Human Interest)
I'll let you know what they say. If I like it, I might do it again. If I don't, I'll just keep working at getting better, right?

And take even more pictures. Is that possible?

No comments: