Saturday, December 8, 2018

It's Beginning to Taste a Lot Like Christmas

Welcome to Christmas and Dairy State Cheese!
I realized quickly this week that I am behind the 8 ball when it comes to holiday prep. I thought that "extra" week between Thanksgiving and December would help. But it just enabled my procrastination.

Thankfully, in this day and age, a girl can whip together Christmas cards, get them printed, and pick them up – all in the course of an afternoon. I did that yesterday and today I was anticipating the only taste my mouth would come from licking envelopes.

Thank goodness for stickers and those self-adhesive stamps! And address labels – both to and from – should not be underrated either. I had my own little one-person assembly line going while watching Hallmark movies. That's multi-tasking. That's productive.

Since I got the cards done and ready to mail, I decided I would head up to Rudolph for their annual Christmas celebration where the post office hand cancels letters with a special Rudolph stamp. The little village was bustling with activity!

It was only 20 degrees so I wasn't going to linger outside. But God bless these kids waiting in line to see Santa. I think he brought some of the North Pole with him. B-r-r-r! Still, I could not leave town without stopping at the dairy – just in case they had some seasonal ice cream there.

They did not disappoint. Peppermint Stick ice cream definitely qualifies for the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! Besides being super yummy, I was able to run a couple errands on the way home and it didn't melt in the car. Winning.

When I got home, hubby was out for a few hours going to church and meeting up with sons 1 and 2. I plopped down to watch another Hallmark movie but felt like I should be doing something at the same time (I have a problem with sitting still). So I remembered I had the ingredients for some of hubby's favorite cookies. A pumpkin cookie recipe his Grandma Austin used to make.


I know. Wrong season. I was going to make them at Thanksgiving but didn't get the time. I figured I better use up the ingredients. On the back side of the recipe card is the yummy frosting recipe. The really good kind you have to make on the stove. I was totally a Becky Home-ecky today. But nervous about doing this third-generation recipe justice.

Did they pass the taste test? I'd say.

Definitely don't have as many to pack up as shown in the photo! Definitely the most wonderful time of the year, right?

No comments: