Friday, March 27, 2020

Date Night :: Flying the Coop


When you survive your third week in quarantine together, you deserve a date night out. And by "out" I mean a drive along the river to see if can spot any eagles – or frankly any wildlife – and a stop at the gas station and grocery store. Feel free to be jealous about our romantic evening!


It started after work when I saw the first robin of spring in our back yard. I thought maybe on such a nice day the eagles would be out on ice patches on the river, looking for food. Plus, I'm dying to take some pictures of just about anything since there aren't spring sports. I coerced hubby to drive the truck so I could ride shotgun and be the lookout.


It had been so long since I had been OUT, I didn't realize all the ice had melted. The river was quite high, actually.


Even cranberries were floating from some nearby bog – obviously preserved in the ice this winter.


Keeping our social distance. Ha.


Since we came up empty along the river, I motored along County Trunk W nearby and got lucky. All kinds of birds and geese and ducks and feathered friends. Keeping their social distance from this photographer! Didn't have my "super zoom" with me but I made due with my 300mm.




I was headed home and turned down a dirt road when I saw these guys (or ladies). They didn't pose too long.


But their four long-legged friends hung around and let me inch closer to them.


Sounding the alarm! "Honk! Photographer on the premises!"





Glad a I captured a few. You can tell in this picture they're scampering off because they had enough. I'm just jealous they can hang around in such close company.

Jim and I were fortunate, though, to run into at least 5 couples we know between the gas station and two grocery stops. We kept our 6-foot separation from them, but dang, I can't tell you how good it was to see friendly faces!

Lord, I will never take that for granted again!

No comments: