Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Marching to the Birthday Drum


It would appear March came in like a lamb, will go out like a lion, and steal everybody's birthday joy in between.

I feel bad for March birthdays – especially my mother-in-law last week and my mom, who turned 88 today.

Due to our social distancing, plus the fact Mom is in a vulnerable category at her age, she had to spend her big day alone. One of my sisters who lives nearby was able to deliver flowers to her the other day before floral shops (and most Wisconsin businesses) were shut down. She couldn't even give Mom a hug on behalf of us 8 kids, but Mom had tears in her eyes when she saw there were 8 yellow roses. She was very grateful!

When I talked to her today she was just grateful to be healthy right now especially. And happy to hear from her children via cards in the mail or phone calls or both. She said, "We'll have to have a big party when this over."

Yep, Mom. We're all over that! I don't even think it'll be confined to March birthdays. Everybody everywhere is going to celebrate.

Can't wait!

Oh and please don't tell her I shared this photo of her – without any lipstick on, for heaven's sake! She can still ground me. Well, that's pretty ineffective right now. But she'd find a way to make it count. Moms can always do that.

No comments: