Thursday, March 12, 2020

Our Moss-fortune


Don't be alarmed. This is not another close-up of the coronavirus. It's just moss. And a lot of it! Let's just take our minds off of the chaos that is everyday life now, and think cool, soft, green thoughts...


It was our fortune to walk through Whatcom Falls Park last weekend in Bellingham. A pretty 240-acre park with waterfalls and lots of trees and lots of moss. I sort of became obsessed with it from the moment we crossed this WPA-era stone bridge.


It looked like a seen from a movie about Savannah or somewhere in the south where Spanish moss runs amuck.


It also just looked historical, if there is such a thing. Just added a texture of aging to the 80-year-old bridge.


And when I looked around, it was everywhere. On the trees, on the big rocks by the waterfalls.


In the "chute" that directs more water out to Bellingham Bay.


Of course, every few years out there is the year of moss because of record rainfalls. So it makes sense in place that rained 3 out of our 5 days would have moisture to fuel the growth of this greenery.





When it was wrapped completely around limb to limb on trees, it reminded me of a Dr. Seuss book and the funky, drape-y trees.



Oh yes, I was looking at every angle!


See how it just hangs around. I wouldn't want it tickling the back of my neck, but it's cool to look at!


This looks more like a snake pit! Seriously, those crazy roots.


And roots that aren't even under ground. Who knows what they're connected to?

There. Did I distract you for a minute? Hope you didn't have any moss-givings about reading this blog. I promise I am not talking about that other subject again today!

You're moss-t welcome.

No comments: