Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Guten Memories


I was talking to one of my friends at work over lunch today about travel. He plans to go see his dad in England this summer and I got to talking about the joy of long flights, customs, and my solo trip to Germany.

Then tonight this photo pops up in my Facebook memories with the caption: "So this finally happened!"

Four years ago today I arrived in Heidelberg, Germany, after a harried, delayed, and rerouted journey with me, myself, and I to see Carter. He was studying there for a semester of college and I thought, "Hey, why don't I fly over for a long weekend?" I said to myself, "Just go!"

And I did. 

And despite the anxiety of arriving in a country where I did not know where I was and did not speak the language, it was an amazing Thursday to Monday adventure! 

I love to travel and apparently am not afraid to go it alone – if I am meeting someone on the end of the tarmac. Otherwise, it's 100% better to experience it with someone. And I'm pretty good at finding partners if it's somewhere hubby doesn't want to travel – or can't due to other obligations (like coaching). 

Jim and I have done several trips. Carter and I have done trips. I have gone solo or in small groups with several sisters – my SKOL sister Ro is next – and my mom. And am open to anyone allowing me to tag along. 

Even though I had my cruise in January, I'll admit I got a little jealous of people on their spring break trips the last two weeks. But I'm glad you're introducing your children to travel. Let them start seeing the world while they're young so they don't have to try to catch up starting at age 40. 

Carter can't wait to get back to Germany some day. And I can't wait to visit him! I do have an updated passport now, so I could go somewhere in the meantime. Would my coworker think it's weird if I just tagged along to jolly old England? Hmmm. 

I should probably think this through before the voice inside my suitcase yells, "Just go!"

No comments: