Sunday, November 19, 2023

Operation Christmas Child


I love a good holiday shopping challenge. And when it involves fitting as many goodies into this shoe box as possible to make a needy child's Christmas bright, I'm all for it.

I love that my church participates in the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child each year. In early November, members can take a box (or 2 or 3) home and then fill it with suggested gifts. Each year, I choose a different age category and alternate between boys and girls. This year I chose to buy for. a boy in the age 5-9 bracket.

They have lots of suggestions. First is hygiene items, so I got him a toothbrush, comb, and a few washcloths. Then comes school-type supplies. So I got him some markers and several small notebooks. Lastly, was WOW items or something unexpected. So I got him a little soccer ball and air pump plus a yo-yo and t-shirt. If it doesn't fit, hopefully he has a brother, sister, or friend who can wear it.

Amazingly, all of this fit inside that shoe box! I guess it really doesn't matter what size the package is!

The fun part is that my label is attached to a 9-digit code so I can track where my shoebox goes. Pretty much anywhere they provide international relief. I'll be curious to learn the final number of boxes our church donated – it was quite a tower this morning – and where my good wishes end up.

And most importantly, they suggest we all "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17) for the child who will receive your shoebox gift. And, pray also for: 

  • Their family to also be receptive to the good news of Jesus Christ.
  • The pastor of the church who delivers your shoebox gift.
  • Their community to be transformed by the Gospel.

This has definitely gotten me in the true Christmas spirit – and it's not even Thanksgiving yet! Hope you find ways to give of your hearts this season!

No comments: