Sunday, July 22, 2007

I hope you dance

It was Mark Twain who said: "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Twain shared a lot of inspirational wisdom but not enough to get my "guys" out on the dance floor! I think it's genetic. Women, by nature, love to dance. And, at the risk of stereotyping, men don't.

We went to a picnic and D.J. dance last night. The D.J. also provided karaoke. I asked Carter if he wanted to sing a song or request a good tune. He didn't want to sing in front of a bunch of strangers but said I could request "Cotton-eyed Joe" -- a song we like to Jam to at home.

After I made the request, I think Carter thought he'd have to sing it or something because he disappeared and went off to pout. I finally convinced him he didn't have to do anything but come back and join the party. The song came on and I just danced with one of my girlfriends.

I guess I don't care what I look like when I dance. Hopefully it's not like Elaine on Seinfeld. If it is, who cares? It's fun and it's good exercise! Jim claimed he was going to save his dancing for next weekend when we go to a wedding. But he finally joined me for dance -- a polka, of course -- and we definitely worked up a sweat. We're good at that!

When the lights were turned down and the D.J.'s flashing colorful lights came on, Carter finally took it as his cue to come out and dance. I showed him some funky moves and he had a ball. "I forgot how much fun it is!" He ended up dancing almost every dance but the slow ones -- he said those were for Mom and Dad.

I think he may want to learn a few moves before asking his aunts to dance this next weekend. He already knows my favorite -- the chicken dance -- so that's a start. Now we can move onto the polka, the electric slide and the macarena ...

Hey, we have to seize the moment. As Lee Ann Womack says in her song about life, when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, dance! I hope you dance ...

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Speaking of dancing.... just got back from seeing the movie, "Hairspray." I loved it and Paul tolerated it. He asked on the way out, "how many bonus points do I get for seeing this movie with you?" I answered "just as many points as I get for watching 'The Bourne Identity' or something like that with you." All's fair in love and war... and dance!