Tuesday, July 31, 2007

All by myself

I'm getting a taste of what it's like to be on my own this week. Carter is Up North and Jim is on a business trip to New Orleans. Whoo-hoo! Party on, right? Not quite. My bachelorette days are far behind me.

I didn't realize how much of my daily routine is tied into other people. Both yesterday morning and this morning, I grabbed two bowls to set up cereal for Carter and I. But he's not here. Yesterday afternoon I was going to call Jim to see if he was ready to leave work. But he's not here.

I was looking forward to some "freedom" this week to get some things done around the house, mainly, without interruption (I'm serious!). But I realize that just because I am the only one around doesn't mean I have more hours in the day. I did get a quick walk in last night -- that is one of my goals this week.

It was kinda of freaky going to bed by myself, though. I'd hear a noise and wonder what it was. It reminded me of when I was a babysitter as a teenager and all the mysterious night noises would freak me out after the kids were in bed and the house was silent!

I slept terribly! This morning as I was pouring milk into my cereal, Sylvester comes bounding out of Carter's room and into the kitchen. I say, "It's just you and me kitty." Then I think, oh my God, this is my future. Some day I am going to be one of those old ladies who talks to their cats!

At least I know she won't talk back this week or give some sarcastic response or question whether I'm right. Just silence and an occasional purr ... but sadly, no "I love you."

I'd have to say bachelorette-hood is not what it's cracked up to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when I was a bachelorette for three months last year while Paul was a Winter Texan!

I spent most nights watching HGTV without interruptions.

Anonymous said...

You'll do fine. But it is nice to hear you miss the guys. Not all spouses and parents do. The old saying of absence making the heart grow fonder does have a bit of truth in it....for short periods. You and Jim are a great couple.

And here I was thinking and hoping you and Jim would have some childless time together this week! Oh well, perhaps some other time.

I know from many years of experience that being alone isn't always our "ideal" situation. But enjoy your freedom this week.

Perhaps the cat will sense the situation and give you a little affection too. Or, more likely, it will just ignore its owner like cats usually do. :)

Take care.

Ron