Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Par-Tee girl

Ask any golfer and they will tell you they love the game and hate the game -- in the same sentence. We love it when our long game and short game are on. We hate it when we're shankin' and slicin'.

Last night, I loved it!

We had a golf fun night for a group of us at work. It was a scramble format. Those are always fun because you always pick the best shot and move forward from there.

For some reason -- and I won't question it -- my drives were really on last night. I was shooting out of my mind. We actually used my drives on half the holes, so that was cool. The crowning moment, though, was when I sunk a 20-foot putt for a birdie (for you non-golfers, that's a good thing!).

On the last hole, our group was one over par and we really, really, really wanted a birdie so we could finish at even. For our second shot, we had to get over sand and water to get to the green. I belted out a beautiful shot and it was heading for the green. It made it over the water (yeah!) and was coming down and then plop! It landed in the sand trap just to the left of the green.

My co-worker Noah said: "Great shot, Robyn! That was just 5 feet from brilliant!"

Wow, 5 feet from brilliant? I decided right then and there that should be the title of my book some day. Aren't we all just that close to doing something incredible?

Some of us have been there. Ask any parent. When we look into the smiling face of our children, we see brilliance. When Carter does something that makes us smile (which is quite often), Jim and I squeeze each other's hand and say, "We done good."

And despite some close to brilliant shots last night, we didn't finish at even par last night. However, we did have the low score at one over. So I am loving golf again ... until the next time!

No comments: