Friday, July 6, 2007

Warning signs :: Part 2

Warning to my sister RoAnn: You probably don't want to read this.

When I was in Texas this spring, we drove through a park on the Rio Grande river, where American children played on one side and we could see Mexican families picnicking on the other. Just your typical spring day on the border, I guess.

Then I saw the sign -- one of those "Slow Children At Play" signs I mentioned yesterday. Though this one had an additional warning: Watch for snakes. I quickly snapped a photo and put my car window up! Oh those poor slow children!

You see, I have this thing about snakes. I HATE THEM! They give me the creeps and I feel all creepy crawly just writing about them. It's no wonder I was freaking a few weeks ago when Jim mentioned we have snakes (or at least one) on our property -- in the yard, maybe under the deck. I practically put myself under house arrest a few days but then I foolishly put them in the back of my mind.

The other morning, after a run, I was on the walkway to our front steps and deck when I glanced down just in time to see a neon green snake slither across my new Nikes with matching neon green swooshes!! I let out a scream that Carter said gave him a heart attack. Jim, meanwhile, was in the computer room and didn't hear a thing.

There's nothing he could have done anyway. Though I see we have some sort of garden hoe by the front deck now that I guess is perfect for slicing and dicing snakes. I hope I never have to see that! But I don't want to see any slimy accessories on my Nikes either!

Step carefully this summer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate snakes, too!!! It must run in the family - er slither! I was way behind in reading blog, my office has no a/c & it's so hot up here. Anyway, I had to put my feet up on my chair to read this one!! I'm always on the lookout in my flower gardens - I know how to do a good blood curdling scream if I see one, & over the years I have learned how to use a shovel pretty well. I would advise to stay away from those neon green shoelaces, it may be mating season.

Anonymous said...

You got my curiosity up, so I had to read this! A week ago today our neice Beth & I were on the front step & saw a snake going under the sidewalk-1st one this year! Now I open the door check it out quick and run! RoAnn

Rayna Delaney said...

Paul found a snake in the garage in January... mind you we live in Texas where they (snakes) don't hibernate. I looked & I still look & open the door slowly to make sure one is not lazing out side the kitchen-to-the-garage door.

Anyhow, he told Mom that he saw a snake in the garage just as we were pulling into the driveway from picking up Mom & Dad at the airport to begin their four weeks visit. You can imagine her hooting & hollering about that. I just about killed Paul! He just doesn't understand that our family don't make jokes about that stuff! Rayna