Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Talkin' about my generation ...

And the marathon of milestones continues at the Austin residence! Today is Jim's birthday!

Jim enjoys the four days between our birthdays because, for a short time, he is only 4 years older than me instead of 5. I think the only time I will appreciate that is when he is about to retire and I can think, for a short time, that I only have 4 years to go!

At our age, a 5-year difference is not a big deal. Who cares if he was in sixth grade when I was in first, right?

Technically, though, we are from two different generations. He is at the tail end of the Baby Boomers and I am among that young Generation X crowd (just barely).

I certainly don't bring this up to pick on the old man (I mean that's what some people call their husbands). We have agreed that for the most part, it doesn't make a difference. However, I have mentioned it once or twice on our trips Up North.

Any time we go to Luck or places nearby, Jim is thrilled to tune in a radio station called Moose Country -- all classic country, all the time. I mean we're talking Eddie Arnold and Jim Reeves and names I only remember from my parents' stack of albums. Jim knows the words to every song -- and I mean EVERY one!

Without exception, there'll be one brave boy from the back of the van requesting Dad keep the music to the speakers up front. To which Dad replies, "What? You want me to turn it up?" On go the iPod headphones.

Since I'm such a loving and supportive wife -- as many of us Gen-Xers are -- I keep my headphones off and let him sing to me. I mean, that's romantic, right?

When it's a song that's not the obvious Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard, he often says, "I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me who sings this." No surprise, I am consistently clueless. I'm still hoping to earn that dollar one day... But I hear guys from that generation have a load of patience!

Happy birthday, hon!

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

I have similar experiences with my hubby that is eight years older than me. He's is basically musically-clueless. However when I start singing the words to a song, he will say, "I've never heard that song before." My response is, "Oh, that was popular back in your previous life when you were already married and had three kids & I was young and free in high school!" Actually, it was college, but I like to feel young now & then. R#1

Anonymous said...

Jim, you're my hero! I think I am clearly in the Gen-X category (sorry to rub in the clearly part, Robyn! Hee hee!), but I LOOOOOVE classic country (hate the new stuff). I make Travis guess the names of the singers and so far, over seven years, he is probably shooting 0.007 percent. So, I don't think you're old Jim, I think you're COOL! :)

Tamara