Friday, August 8, 2008

Crazy Eights

Today is 08-08-08. It seems since the start of this new millenium, people have been making a big deal out of dates like that, especially 06-06-06 a few years back. While the big news event today should be the start of the Olympics, there was some special attention on the local news this evening about babies born today.

I mean really, what's the big deal? Three numbers strung together? Perhaps 8 on its own isn't that significant, or is it? Here's where 8 means something in my life...

8 R's: There are 8 kids in my family. No, we're not Catholic (we're Lutheran). And yes, our names all start with the letter R (Rayna, Romey, Renell, RoAnn, Ronald, Rachel, Robyn and Raylene). Growing up, I recall people often referred to our family as LeRoy and Marlys and the 8 R's. When I asked my mom in a recent family-tree interview why she named us all with R's, her clever response: "I guess I was in a r-r-r-rut!" (And people wonder where I get my sense of humor!)

8 ounces: I have been striving this year to drink 8 8-ounce servings of water every day. I've been getting better at it. It's becoming more of a habit than a forced way of thinking, but I still have a long ways to go in my goals of making healthy choices -- especially when it comes to ice cream and exercise. Good thing we strive for progress, not perfection!

8 hours: This means two things to me. One, I don't recall when I last had a job that I only worked 8 hours a day -- that I was an hourly employee instead of a salaried one. Which just means I don't get that "overtime" some people groan over and others covet. Two, I like to get close to 8 hours of sleep each night. When I get 7 or less, I feel like crap the next day. Hubby thinks it's all in my head, but my stomach says differently. And it's not like I'm in bed at 8 p.m. (there's one 8 I don't need -- yet).

8-tee (as in '80s): As a teenager of the '80s, I remain devoted to, uplifted by, but not quite obsessed with my '80s music. And I don't know why. I guess there must be some happy memories of youth buried in the be-bop. It's not like there was any depth to the lyrics. There were more one-hit wonders than standout talents. But I just like it. And I'm not forcing anyone to grab their neon sunglasses and join me. So chill.

8 strokes: This unfortunately was the score on two of my holes at Glen Cairn this afternoon. After work we took Carter and our friend Tom golfing. Carter thinks Tom is cool because he has a cool nickname, T-Bar, and he is pretty cool all-around. I had some good drives but some paltry chip shots and too many 3-putts. I was lucky I only carded two snowmen! Carter, on the other hand, did a little better this time out. He shaved 8 strokes off his previous score. Now that's an 8 worth celebrating!

No comments: