Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Silver Lining

There are two facts that have been reinforced so far during these Olympic games. One is that I am too old to be staying up so late watching live coverage. Two -- and more importantly -- is that I am not only proud, but thankful, to be an American. Living in the Land of the Free.

Last night while watching the women's gymnastic finals, I was satisfied the U.S. women took home the silver. Based on their performance, they probably wouldn't argue they deserved better. The Chinese, however, would have accepted nothing less than another team Gold. Now I know why.

I learned a thing or two about China's program last night. For the women at least, the gymnasts are chosen for the program just out of daycare. The gymnastics program and quest for the Gold becomes their life. I mean literally. They have limited contact with family. They become a "ward of the state," so to speak.

Is a Gold medal that important it is obtained at the expense of family? At the expense of childhood?

I've heard of -- and seen -- pushy POAs (parents of athletes). Yes, it takes time and dedication to succeed at a sport, well, anything really. But I'd hate to be the parent of a child who was so goal-focused, they woke up one day and realized they're 18 and missed being a kid. (It's bad enough I wake up most days and wonder where my 30s went!)

As our first "real" football season gets under way, I'll be curious to see if I learn something valuable from the other parents. Or if my darn competitive instincts take over and I become one of those POAs. Let's hope we all remember that this is for the kids, not us, and just like with the Olympics, it's not a life-or-death situation where he must succeed.

This is America. Where we have the freedom of choices. And even have the freedom to fail.

No comments: