Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"This is how we roll..."

I always enjoy watching the Olympics. One can't help being inspired by the stories of struggle, sacrifice and success. To a person, it is each athlete's lifelong dream to compete in the Games. A medal, well that's a bonus!

Being a typical chick, I am a big fan of gymnastics. I know it's something I couldn't dream of doing (well most of the events are!), so I sit in awe of what they can do. Sure, I love all the speed events, too, like swimming and track. But the gymnastic competitions take some choreography to add entertainment (and difficulty) to the skill.

Last night I found myself staying up pretty darn late to cheer on the American men's team. The underdogs. It was worth being tired today to see that drama unfold. I've never seen third-place finishers so happy. They were so excited just to get a medal, apparently something many people thought was not a possibility after two of their top teammates bowed out before the Olympics.

Jumping and hugging when the final results were displayed, they said into the television camera, "This is how we roll, America! We don't give up."

I see a lot of that attitude, thankfully, among the politics and negative distractions that naturally accompany the Olympics. We need to think about that more. Think about goals. Think about working as a team. Think about giving something our best instead of settling for a half-hearted effort. Think about pride. Think -- and believe -- that dreams can come true.

I think they do. I plan to tune in again tonight and I'll bet I'm right. Go USA!

No comments: