Friday, August 22, 2008

Juggling Act

Typical of summer, everything seems to fall on one square of the calendar, forcing you to choose activities or in superhuman fashion, squeeze it all in or be two places at once. That's our challenge for this weekend.

About a month ago, Jim and I signed up for a company golf scramble taking place this afternoon. We knew we'd have to find childcare arrangements for Carter, since Kidz Camp isn't open that late. Since then, we've also added a Saturday morning football scrimmage to the calendar and my sister and brother-in-law indicated they would be visiting. All important things we're very excited about!

After much juggling and a healthy dose or two of ibuprofen, we think we've got this figured out today.

We actually left Carter at home and he called my sister-in-law after he got up and ate breakfast and she picked him up for the day. (This in itself is a huge deal since he has not been left alone before. He did OK. He was supposed to "sleep in" and not call his aunt until 9 a.m. But he got up as soon as we left and had 2 hours to kill. To help pass the time, he called me to chat awhile, asking me what he could do around the house and filling me in on sports scores. "Mom, they're saying some good things about the Twins today" and "Kitty and I really miss you." Deep breaths...)

When my sister and brother-in-law get to our house sometime this afternoon, Carter will be delivered and will provide an abundance of entertainment until we get home tonight. If we are not home by 8:30, he still has to go to bed (it's game day tomorrow!) but must provide complete instructions on how to operate the remote first.

Now that I think about it, that's a lot of responsibility for a fifth-grader. All I have to worry about today is hitting a golf ball long and straight and not letting my team down. I guess I don't have it so rough! (Oops, remind me not to say rough before golfing!)

No comments: