Thursday, August 14, 2008

Needle in a Haystack

Watching our kids practice for Rapids Raptor football is a lot tougher than you'd think. The toughest part? Finding our kids!

Last week, when it first started, it was "helmets only" practice. So you figure you can find your son based on what he was wearing that day. Who knew there were so many shades of gray and white T-shirts and black shorts out there? By the end of the week, I figured I'd fool the system and put Carter in red shorts. Other moms must have had the same idea because there was an abundance of red shorts that night -- along with the indistinguishable gray and white T-shirts, naturally.

This week, they are practicing in full pads. Most of the families purchased the maroon practice jersey, too, so we have the same challenge.

Do you see what I mean? I actually know Carter is the one on the far left, but only because I had to pay attention that his white T-shirt was hanging below the practice jersey!

The other fun this week is that the coach is trying the players out in different positions to see what best suits their skills. Since Carter is a newbie this year, they are still trying to find that perfect spot.

I have been surprised to see him blocking but that seems to be where they are leaning. He was very excited during a scrimmage-type setup tonight that he got in on some tackles -- and even got to the QB once.

I just sat there on the sidelines, wincing every time I'd hear the "crunch" of another tackle. We just got our game schedule tonight. Seven games! I have a feeling this isn't going to get any easier for us moms who don't want our babies growing up and getting hurt. But then again, it's not about me, is it?

Maybe the toughest part about practice isn't finding our son like a needle in a haystack. It's finding him and being willing to let him go.

No comments: