Friday, August 1, 2008

A little bit Corny

I'd venture to say just about every community in America -- from large cities down to unincorporated villages -- holds some sort of annual event or festival to celebrate its heritage, gather neighbors and friends together or, let's face it, just have excuse to party.

In the little village of Scandinavia, just south of Iola, they hold a Corn Roast each year. It's a weekend festival but, ironically, they only have corn on the cob there on Sunday. We decided we couldn't wait for the excitement so we went after work today.

We walked over with some friends who live in Scandy. And Carter was nice enough to go on many, many carnival rides with their 4-year-old son. It was wristband night after all. And that means unlimited fun.

No offense to the Corn people, but I was thinking Jeff Foxworthy would be proud to see the polka band, the plethora of tattoos and -- the highpoint of entertainment for the evening -- celebrity donkey races! (Mind you, not the same caliber of celebrities I saw last weekend.)

I did venture on one ride with the daughter of a friend of mine. She's Carter's age and could not find anyone to go on the Zipper with her. Do you remember the Zipper -- the main machine rotates while each little cage can flip its occupants upside down (we found, many times in a row).

I used to love rides like that so I said "yes" before I had time to get nervous. Or, I know now, time to think. Why do I always forget that getting jerked around in circles and upside down might be bad for my back?! We had fun. We flipped. We screamed. We flipped some more and screamed some more. Now she's got something to brag about and I have a lower back memory as well.

All in good fun. I have to consider I would have been in more pain getting bucked off a donkey! Ahh, Americana at its finest.

No comments: