Thursday, July 31, 2008

Just "sew-sew"

I'm having one of those so-so mornings ... I mean sew-sew.

On the way out the door, I noticed my pants had a hole in them -- someplace most people wouldn't look, but I would know all day, and feel self-conscious. Since I didn't have time to change, I grabbed my little sewing kit and headed out.

"What?" you say. Robyn, the undomestic goddess has a sewing kit? Yes, and I know how to use it.

A few years ago, I actually had a sewing machine, too, but got rid of it on a garage sale with a sign that said: "Used only once!" or something like that. But I have been known to sew on a button or mend a hole now and then -- even without the aid of any sort of "sewing for dummies" book. I know, this is killing my reputation.

This morning, I have to say it took longer to thread the needle in the moving car (no, I wasn't driving) than it took to actually sew the pants! It took about 5 miles to get the thread in the needle. Then, much to my driver's delight (ha, ha), I pulled my pants down and started sewing. He says, "I hope we drive next to a semi." I said, "I'll get these sewn before we get to the highway."

It was a close call, but I got the task completed before we passed any tall vehicles on the four-lane. So, not only am I domestic, and a goddess, I can sew faster than the speed of ... slow-moving vehicles!

I know, no need to say it, my talents are mind-boggling. And, I know, the fact that I feel the need to share the details with you, more head-scratching than mind-boggling... Thanks for humoring me.

No comments: