Monday, July 28, 2008

Dateline :: San Diego


TRAVEL LOG: Back from Comic Con International in San Diego! At first I thought I'd never get there. Typical travel woes -- flight delayed at takeoff so missed my connection (by hours) in Minneapolis ... almost missed my later connection there ... was paged over the intercom and had to run through the airport (good thing I was wearing tennis shoes and a sports bra) ... then when I finally got to my hotel in San Diego, half my clothes were wet and sticky (the old "contents may shift during flight" applied to my hairspray in my suitcase). Luckily all was forgotten when I saw the great view (pictured above) from the hotel.


SAY CHEESE (or is it CHIPs?): Yes, my teeny bopper fantasy came true! Can't you still hear my heart pounding? I met my dream boat.
I was so nervous waiting in line, that when I got up to the table, I couldn't stop myself. From talking, that is. I actually ended up telling Erik Estrada the whole poster story. I mean really, me speechless? Did you think that was going to happen? He posed for a picture with me (above) and then said, aw, c'mon, we can do better than that. So he put my arms around him. I did not protest. And we got the nice snuggling shot at right. Then he autographed a picture for me and I floated off to lunch. Even though I couldn't stop smiling, I did feel a wee bit guilty. I called up hubby and said, "I just cheated on you with Ponch." He said, "Good for you!" Though, I know he didn't mean that! He was just letting an old lady enjoy her silly moment. (Thanks, hon!)

STAR POWER: If you follow celebrity sightings at all, you may have heard that Paris Hilton was out at Comic Con on Thursday, the day before I got out there. I saw other stars but was not able to get decent photos.

While working our magazine booth, I saw the pre-teen that plays Zack on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. (Carter knew what I was talking about and thought that was cool!)

I saw Breckin Meyer posing with some fans (he's pictured second from left). I first remember him from the movie Clueless, but he has been in other movies and has a production company now with Seth Green and someone else.

I'm not a big Trekkie or anything but I saw and took blurry pictures (not allowed to use flash unfortunately so not worth posting) of two cast members from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Jonathan Frakes, who played Riker, is still quite handsome. Levar Burton, who played La Forge, was there, too. You non-Trekkies may remember him from the Roots mini-series from way, way, way back when. (Yes, I am dating myself here.)

I managed to catch up with the distinguished Ray Bradbury and snap his photo. The longtime SciFi author (Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, you name it) and inspiration will turn 88 next month. He still drew a crowd of respectful admirers. That was pretty cool.

I also had dinner with the guy who writes the 24 comic strip, based on the action-packed television show starring Kiefer Sutherland. I learned the crew got to go to Africa to film a 2-hour movie to air in November as a prequel to the beginning of the next season. Cool! It was an entertaining dinner! Kiefer was somewhere at the show (I mean con), but I missed him. I did get to see his co-star, Adoni Maropis, who played Fayed in last season's story line. I got his autograph and photo (yes, I even snuggle with fictional terrorists.)

Probably a good thing I drew the line with the real stars and not all the wannabes in costumes. There were a ton of "Jokers" from the new Batman movie. Some Hellboys (yuck) and some Indiana Jones look-alikes (or trying to look alike). Then there was everything in between. Lots of characters I was clueless about. Some people I think just decided to color their hair or face or wear skimpy outfits. (I know what you guys are saying: Where are those photos? I felt too weird asking.) I may post a few of those but sleep -- in my own bed -- is a priority tonight.

Overall, I would say it was everything I expected (the geek factor) and more. I was surprised about the stars. It has really evolved into a Hollywood event (which many traditional comic book dealers have mixed feelings about). There certainly was a lot of energy and excitement everywhere. It was huge, almost overwhelming. So much going on. I for one, am looking forward to going again so I can see what I missed!!

5 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Snuggling with The Fonz and Ponch alllll in ONE lifetime! How do you rate?? :) Then to top it off you get to snuggle with Jim and Carter every day, WOW!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god!! I screamed out loud when I saw the first picture of you with Ponch! I really shrieked when I saw picture #2 - it's so darn cute- you look almost as tan as him and youare both gorgeous!! Good for you Robyn - I'm glad you had fun and had such an awesome experience getting to meet so many ***stars****. Can't wait to hear the rest of the details!!?!! Love ya, Sis Romey

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Robyn!! How lucky you are! i would be so giddy if I saw him from afar, much less get to hug him. What an awesome experience. Glad you had a great trip, even with all the "problems". Love ya! Lene

Ron Hedberg said...

(belated) Wow. That is so cool you got to see, and feel, Erik Estrada. And he is so lucky to hug someone who is impacting the world in ways he could only imagine.

And you missed the earthquake too! I am glad you had a great trip. Us midwesterners are probably kind of boring now. But every once in a while...

Love ya,

Brother Ron

Unknown said...

It’s a great site to see. That will help for improvisation of me. Will definitely marked as Bookmark.
Movies San Diego