Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Round One

We took Carter golfing after work today at that Glen Cairn course outside Iola that hubby and I experienced two weeks ago. This was Carter's first round of "real" golf. We're not counting the Texas course since that was all par 3 and Carter didn't finish it anyway.

So the challenge tonight was to NOT tell Carter what to do. Every time I tried, Jim rightfully chimed in with, "Just do what they taught you in lessons, Carter." Wise advice. I am in no position to be coaching anyone!

Since it was ladies' night at the course, we had to play the front 9, which has 3 par 5's -- not our preference, that's for sure. It also had 3 par 3's and Carter and I are both big fans of those. Remember Carter is a lefty swinger -- so his drives would often shank off to an immediate left. Lost a few in the woods, but found a few so we came out even as far as that goes.

As for scores, I am back out of the 40s (I knew it was too good to last) and logged a 54. Carter doubled that with a 108 but we told him not to get discouraged. We all have to have a starting point or we have nothing to compare it to. So we told him we'd keep track of his scores from here on out and he is bound to see them improving.

It's just like life, right? When we think things aren't going well or we're not doing a good job, we only have to look a few years back and see how far we've come. I for one am sometimes floored by the progress.

I hope I reach that point with my golf game some day, too, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important (says the who is bruised from beating herself up over bad shots).

No comments: