Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ready to Rumble?

After years of playing Madden Football on his video-game system, Carter is ready for the real thing. The real rough-and-tough world of tackle football.

Wearing his purple Adrian Peterson "Rookie of the Year" t-shirt, Carter was fitted for his new gear last night and is now an official member of the Rapids Raptors football team. His number? 28, of course! Though I think it will be awhile before he earns the nickname "All Day Austin." (If you don't follow the Vikes, or NFL football in general, I realize this is over your head. Sorry.)

Carter was most nervous about his doctor's physical -- after hearing horror stories from other boys. But his went fine. Apparently it wasn't as thorough as he/we expected. That explained the smile of relief on his face when it was over!

So now it's down to 12 days until the first practice. That conditioning plan fell by the wayside immediately but I think he's a bit more determined to resume it now that he sees his helmet, jersey and pads laying in the corner of his room.

This is going to be interesting. I'm guessing this will be my biggest test (to date, that is) as a mother to remain calm, cool and collected. Not think about those big 6th-graders running over my little 5th-grader! Yup. I think I can feel the butterflies already!

No comments: