Friday, July 4, 2008

40-something and loving it!

Forty, forty, forty. I always wanted to shoot a golf score in the 40s -- and today I did it!!

Figures it took all week to get it right. (Or maybe I just had to be 40 for it to happen!) We picked up our friend Scott in Waupaca and headed over to Hortonville this morning to Eagle Creek Golf Course.

When I got a par on the first hole -- something that has never happened to me -- I figured I was in for a good day. But golf is golf. You par one hole and get an 8 on the next. There's no freebies for the inconsistent! By the 9th hole, I had a self-imposed "time out" just to get my head on straight.

At the turn (that's what we call the transition from the front 9 to the back 9), we grabbed a quick bite to eat and were on our way. There must have been something in that brat, I tell ya, because I finally pulled my head out of my ... cart ... and golfed. I told Jim, "OK, it's time to get back to the basics." And that was the trick. Easy half swing like a beginner and lots of concentration.

I don't pay attention to my cumulative score as we're going. I just play it hole by hole so I don't get psyched out. If Jim would have told me I had a 39 going into the last hole, I probably would have carded an 11 just because my pea-brain wouldn't have been able to handle the self-imposed pressure! That's golf. Man, I love that game.

So my final for 18 holes was an even 100. I'll take that score topped off with some fun and laughs under a nearly cloudless sky. What a wonderful way to wrap up the week.

I better sign off. Hubby's got steaks going on the grill. Then I think we'll skip the fireworks in town. Really, we've had enough excitement for a non-vacation week, wouldn't you say?

Happy Independence Day!

No comments: