Thursday, July 17, 2008

Last Call

Just about everybody's got a favorite neighborhood watering hole. A friendly meeting place. A not so smoke-free environment to grab a cold beer and a good burger now and then. For a lot of people in Wisconsin Rapids, that place was Buzz's Bar & Grill. Just around the corner from the newspaper office where hubby and I sacrificed years of our lives.

Today marked the last day of business for the old saloon, which hasn't necessarily been there since the beginning of time -- but at least since the beginning of my time in the Rapids area. The bar was purchased recently by a papermill mogul who wants to expand his cultural center located next door. (Apparently shaking dice doesn't qualify as "culture" in his eyes.)

Buzz himself is long gone but his son has been running the joint since I came to town back in '95. "Legs" is an avid Badger and Packer fan, which I forgive him for, and, of all things, a Yankees fan. Just haven't been able to stomach that one. But he's so darn charming I've been willing to look past it.

Back in the day -- this is where we say "pre-Carter" -- Jim regularly met his former sports boss and the guys from the Armory around noontime to shake dice and talk stupid. Occasionally I'd stop in a observe but they didn't want any ladies in their circle of manliness. I did enjoy some good lunches there, though, and occasionally something from the tap. Over the years, we've treated treat our boys to cheese curds, burgers and fries once in awhile, too.

As news of the pending "last call" circulated in the last several weeks, regular patrons and those of use who just dropped in for a Buzz's Burger now and then made an effort to soak in the atmosphere and company one last time.

Last week, Jim was able to meet up with his buddies for old time's sake before he headed out of town. Tonight on the way home, I asked Carter if he wanted to stop by Buzz's for supper. "Yes! We have to go there one more time!" he said. So we stopped.

Just like in Cheers, I walked in and somebody hailed me by name. (Just some fellow fans from the race track. I honestly haven't been there in ages.) Unbeknownst to us, the grill was shut down two nights ago so we didn't get supper. The only two things left on tap were Budweiser and Point Brewery Root Beer. So Carter and I each savored a frosty mug of root beer and toasted Buzz's.

I said to my son, "You know, if there hadn't been a Buzz's, there wouldn't be a Carter." Someday he'll understand.

Cheers.

To Buzz's.

No comments: