Monday, July 14, 2008

How Bizzaro

I sort of feel like I am in my own Bizzaro World -- the comic strip where everything is opposite. (And I'm not talking about the current Brett Favre on-again, off-again retirement saga either. Though that would qualify.) Bizzaro World illustrates my opposite Sunday and Monday (except for the part where I was very busy both days).

On Sunday, I pretty much was standing all day -- with little chance for escape -- and today, I was seated at my desk most of the day -- with little chance for escape. Both days ended with America's favorite pastime.

On Sunday, we had a special Sunday School cleanup day planned. Optimistically, we had hoped our grand reorganization of supplies, etc., could be done in a few hours. It took more like 5 or 6. I'll give Carter credit here for behaving very well and even helping a bit. After we felt we accomplished enough there, I stopped at my store and did some grocery shopping. Then headed home to cut the front the lawn. Somewhere in that process, I ran out of gas, realized our gas can was empty, too, so had to run to the gas station.

About 6:45 p.m. I realized I hadn't sat down since breakfast, except to drive. Not good. I told Carter, "Let's find something good on TV and just sit for the evening." We saw that the movie Eight Men Out was on, so watched that. Carter was curious about the back story on this when we watched Field of Dreams not that long ago.

The history on this is still a bit complicated for a 10-year-old but he had a good grasp of it. So much so, he now understands why Daddy's favorite ballplayer, Pete Rose, will not make it into the Hall of Fame. He was seriously bummed about that -- probably mostly on Daddy's behalf.

Today was just one of those crazy Monday's at work, unexpectedly filling in for someone who was gone, so just steady busy. I did get out for a 10-minute walk mid-morning, but that was my only real escape besides bathroom breaks. As it turns it out, I had to bring some work home but I am going to do what I can during commercial breaks. Carter and I have a date to watch the All-Star Home Run Derby. Go Justin Morneau!

No comments: