Friday, July 11, 2008

Jimmy's Excellent Adventure

Do you remember a comedy/science fiction movie from the late '80s called Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? In the movie, two unmotivated students manage to travel through time to assemble a select group of historical figures for their high school history presentation. Today, my hubby's excellent adventure began.

As I've mentioned previously, Jim and I are both genealogists. I won't say "active genealogists" because we go in streaks. We'll work hard at it awhile then set it aside, sometimes for many months at a time. This year has been an active one for Jim -- especially after he decided this is the year he is going out East to solve one of his family mysteries.

Not to go into too many details, but Jim's great-great-grandfather on his dad's side was married 4 times (some women weren't cut out for the wild frontier, I guess). The mysterious piece of the puzzle is the third wife. Who was she? Jim is pretty sure the answer lies somewhere in northern Vermont and New York. So that's where he is for the next week, all by himself, just a few miles from the Canadian border, having his own excellent family tree adventure, eh?

I hope it proves to be productive but if nothing else, at least he can enjoy the scenery. He flew into Burlington, Vermont, took a ferry over Lake Champlain with the Adirondak Mountains serving as the backdrop in scenery, then landed over in Plattsburgh, N.Y., where he'll stay in a hotel all week.

He said it is just gorgeous out there. And how do I know this? I forced my anti-cell phone husband into this century by buying him a prepaid cell phone for the trip. I pretty much got the simplest model I could find and set it up for him to call my cell or our home number. He is easing into this technology at a pretty alarming rate. I got no less than 5 calls from him today!

I guess it's the next best thing to being there. But I'd sure love to see those mountains.

No comments: