Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hello, Dolly

I kept a close eye on the weather today -- not what was happening in Wisconsin, but down in Texas, where Hurricane Dolly had her eyes (or do we just say eye) set on hitting South Padre Island and southern Texas -- close to where my sister and brother-in-law live.

It's weird, but most places hurricanes have struck and done damage are places I've never seen before the storm -- only afterward (like visiting Punta Gorda, Fla., after Hurricane Charlie). But tonight on the news, I saw what happened on South Padre (where we spent part of Spring Break this year) and the streets of Harlingen (where we flew in). That's freaky when you've been there.

I talked to my sister tonight. They live 60 miles or so inland (you may have seen McAllen on the news). So far they have been spared flooding or damage. The power flickered out but, thankfully, came back on right away. Could you imagine a day or two in the Texas heat without air conditioning? That would be brutal! And some of the unfortunate souls closer to the coast are dealing with just that.

Is it done? Probably not. I think Dolly will be rotating in more rain tomorrow but they are hoping it won't be too much.

This is actually the third hurricane my sister has been through. They've followed her to New Orleans (long before Katrina) and Atlanta and now Texas. She's a survivor so I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about my retired brother-in-law who is missing two days of pool time! (Poor St. Paul and his sacrifices.)

If you are inclined to put your hands together tonight, please pray for their safety and those around them. I'm sure they'll return the favor during our blizzard season!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

It's must have been a slow news day in Wisconsin to warrant a full-page of your blog! :) Just kidding, thanks for your concerns!!

Good-bye Dolly, the hurricane force winds are gone and now it's just raining (7:00 am). Don't know if St Paul will get to pool today or not, depends on if the sunshine returns.