Tuesday, August 26, 2008

To know me is to love me ... and me, too!

I wonder sometimes if I have a split personality. And I wonder sometimes, too.

Seriously, how is it a person can be an anal retentive perfectionist on one hand and a lazy, anti-domestic clutterbug on the other? It just doesn't match up, does it? But that's me. And me, too!

I went to the fitness center over lunch hour today. I wanted to show a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) this new weight-lifting/strength-training program I've been doing for a few weeks. Trust me, I'm not planning to bulk up here. It's more of a rehab program for my pathetic back than anything else. Though I look forward to the benefit of some toning (hopefully) at some point way, way down the road.

So I asked my friend if she knew how to work the machines and she said, "Oh yeah, I used to lift. I bet I even still have a sheet here." The sheet she referred to is a nice chart we use to keep track of when we lift, how much weight we lift, how many reps we do and so on. I think one side of the sheet has enough columns for about 30 workouts. It's a great tool when we're starting out and gradually building up weights and reps.

My friend checks in the files and sure enough, her yellow chart sheet is still there. We both look at it and start laughing. On the sheet she has the top marked 2005 over about 6 workouts, then a vertical line drawn and 2006 marked over the next 6 or so workouts, then a vertical line drawn and 2007 written over the top of 4 columns I think... then nothing. All her weight workouts in four years not even filling out one side of the sheet. Vertical lines drawn with good intentions to start over and mean it this time!

I am howling with laughter now. "Are you my twin? My clone?" I ask. I point to the sheet, "That is so me!!" Start something and the ADD kicks in and I am bored and I quit. Or it is too darn hard to keep it up so my lazy personality kicks in and says, "Pass the mint ice cream."

It can never be easy, can it? I think about how many things I have started, and stopped, and started again, in the past few years under the guise of getting slimmer and healthier or just improving me.

About the only thing I've stuck with is this blog. And that's not getting me any skinnier or any richer. But it does prove one of me can do something and stick with it. Let's see if the others follow suit... and soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn - Don't worry about that other stuff, just keep on bloggin'!! I so enjoy your writing and your putting such a spin on every day life - although I will have to say your life is not boring!! Uff da - I don't know how you do it all, but glad you keep up with the writing. Now don't you think I could keep up with reading your blog more than once a week!! Keep us informed - good luck to Carter in football, too. Luv ya - Romey

Anonymous said...

We must be related..... start, stop, start, stop. All the time! I have said for years, the only thing I have STAYED committed to is being married to Paul (now 20 years). No guarantees on when that could "stop." Why can't I stop being FAT for a awhile?? That never seems to "stop."