Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wild Weekend

I would say that comparatively speaking, we women were not nearly as wild as the weather this weekend! Or I should say the result of the weather...

That rain dropped anywhere from 5-10 inches in a path that I drove through Thursday -- basically central and southern Minnesota and central Wisconsin. As a result, the river waters were rising everywhere from the Mississippi right in our cottage's front yard to the Wisconsin River near home and the Bloody Run Creek in my own back yard. Scary stuff.

Of course, you've seen all the news coverage. On my way home today I did make a few pit stops to take some pictures (I'll post later) but the water levels had dropped significantly from where they were at on Friday and Saturday. I saw plenty of images from others, though, and cannot believe how much water was everywhere!

Over at our "sister retreat" we had rain all day Thursday, high winds (and white caps on the waves on Lake Pepin) on Friday, then sunny and cool on Saturday, and simply gorgeous today on our drives home.

The weather did not deter us from any activities (except a boat ride). We managed to eat and shop and eat and tour a toy factory and eat and play games and take walks and eat some more. Mostly, we laughed, though. I think my stomach still hurts from laughing so hard and so much. But that's a good pain!

Had a great time with my sisters and, as a bonus, our brother surprised us and joined us for supper Saturday night. He came back to our place -- Park Place on Pepin -- for a little while after dinner. Played some games and laughed and talked. Now I don't know if he is really grateful not to be part of sister weekend or if he misses it. It was a loud, crazy hen house and I'll be the first to admit it!

Took some fun pictures and nice ones, too, of the of the "girls" and of the area. I'll have to post later this week when I get time. Now I gotta tuck my baby in and enjoy some hot-tub time before the frost hits tonight. (Yes, my blanket is already on!)

It's good to be home!

No comments: