Thursday, September 30, 2010

To Your Health

A lot of times when we know someone who has suffered some sort of setback (like a job loss, for instance) and we're at a loss for words to comfort them, we stick with the old standby: "Well at least you still have your health."

It doesn't sound like much. But you know what? Having your health is a big deal!

I recently spent some time with a group of older women, who shall remain nameless. I noticed we had quite a pharmacy going on the bathroom and kitchen counters. All kinds of little brown plastic bottles lined up with lord knows what. I thought to myself, "Boy I'm glad I don't have to take any drugs!" Just a daily vitamin and calcium pill for this old girl.

Of course, that could change any minute. We just don't know.

I got a phone call from my twin sister last night. Her teenage daughter had undergone some tests recently -- including a CT scan -- to pinpoint the source of sporadic stomach pains this year. Turns out she has what doctors labeled a "huge" cyst in her abdomen area, likely attached to or stemming from her ovaries. When they say huge, they're talking 12 inches wide or long or possibly just circumference. Still, that's gigantic. And it doesn't belong there. The next step will be surgery and then a test to determine if it's just your standard mass or if it's cancerous.

This is whole helluva lot to deal with as a 16-year-old! And my twin, God bless her, has just survived 2 years of worry while her son was in Iraq. Then losing a job. Now this. She is one strong woman, that's for sure. And if she doubts how this will go, she just has to revisit how the other events turned out to see how God has been working on her side. Her son came home safely from Iraq. And she is 6 weeks into a new job she really enjoys!

This is going to be a rough patch though. But she and her husband and daughter have got all of us in this big ol' family of ours beside them and praying for them.

We're also praying for ourselves. Not asking God for anything, but thanking Him. I know I don't take my health for granted. I've had enough obstacles in the past to really make me grateful for the good days today.

And the next time someone does a toast and drinks to my health, I'll appreciate it even more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Robyn for the words of encouragement and praise. I'm just taking it one day at a time. Sometimes minute to minute. I love you! Thanks for always being there for me and my family.
Love, your twin- Raylene