Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bowled Over


As usual, I am bowled over (literally, ha) at our community's support of a worthy cause. The 2nd annual South Wood County Empty Bowls was a success today!

We had more than 300 handcrafted bowls to give out to attendees. Such a variety. And I can't quite take credit for taking this picture when my foot (and nice fashion boots) are in it. Have to thank one of my cohorts for posting it since I am too tired and lazy to upload my photos.

It was a 7-hour day for many of the volunteers who were at the church around 8 to do final setup, prep the soup and tackle labor-intensive tasks like slice butter into pats (Carter) and fire up the seldom-used electric knife to slice homemade bread (me). Then, when the line for eating started to form, Carter, my friend Christine and I camped out in the raffle basket room.

We ended up with 33 baskets of all donated items and sold more than $800 in tickets for them. Even sold some to hubby (who bought my lunch, too) and to myself -- and I still didn't win any baskets I wanted. I did win one. It was the one I said, "Oh I might as well put one ticket for this one and I can give it as a gift if I win it." Well, somebody is getting a nice gift basket from me!

After event cleanup and calling the winners, I had a little break at home to catch up on Olympic action, especially the much talked about hockey game. Then we all headed back into town to watch the Assumption boys in a makeup basketball game.

Since they were playing Stratford, my father-in-law's hometown, I got to see "Dad" and Uncle Joe for a nice visit between the JV and Varsity games. Our varsity game started out quite poorly. I believe we were down something like 13-1 at one point. It took a few quarters, but our boys caught up and actually won it! Pretty exciting.

Not enough to keep me wide awake for extra hours, but still exciting. I am just beat from a long, worthwhile day.

But it was pretty darn cool.


No comments: