Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday Tidbits

Just catching up on a few things....

Sprechen sie deutsch? We had a meeting last night for the families hosting a German student later this spring. We are getting excited to host Lukas, who is also a sophomore and just turned 16.

Although he will be here just under a month, he will get to experience Easter, prom (uh-oh) and Carter's birthday with us. Plus, there are numerous excursions planned with the other 21 German students staying with Assumption H.S. families that month -- and with the "host kids" and the Germans. They are packing a lot into his schedule plus he has to go to school and classes like a regular student. Unlike the "old days" of pen pals, Carter has been in touch with him via email several times and they are getting to know each other a bit. When Carter goes over to Germany in the summer of 2015, then he will stay with Lukas and his family. Very cool. Should be an interesting experience for all of us!

The Island of Misfit Readers: I have always wanted to join a book club but have not found the opportunity. Typically, the clubs are well established with women (mostly) who either have been friends forever, are coworkers or family or share some other tie. There's one group I'd have to "audition" for to see if they'd accept me. I'll pass.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands and see if there are other "misfit readers" or "book orphans" out there who haven't found a place to belong. My friend Christine and I have been talking about this for ages and I finally acted on it last night, sending out a generic invite on Facebook to any Rapids area readers looking for a home. Tentatively, I am calling it the Face To FaceBook Club, but you don't have to be on Facebook to join. I figured I better throw a note on here in case any of you locals love to read and talk about it! Let me know. I am happy to report we already have a "quorum" (ha) so we can get started ASAP. And we will!

What's Your Status? Today is Facebook's 10th anniversary. Who cares, right? Well, they made us care by somehow creating a brief "video" of our top moments since joining. Turns out I have been wasting time on there for 6 years.

The touching part was seeing the first photos. Remember this kid? His official photo from the Rapids Raptors. Carter's wearing #28 just like his football hero -- Adrian "All Day" Peterson! 

While his football career was short-lived, my desire to take pictures of him and share them has not lost momentum. He has warned me against that now that he is well aware of social media outlets and my blog. If you are not on Facebook, you're not missing much on my account. Most of my insightful comments and photos appear here, too. 

Ha. Don't lose sleep over that! In fact, just hunker down with a good book and have sweet dreams! G'nite.

No comments: