Friday, September 30, 2016

A Bit Flighty


For as many times as I've had to stop or slow my car to let turkeys cross the road, I had to wonder if it was just an urban legend that they can fly.

I mean why must they walk, waddle and lolly-gag across the road if they have wings? Because their brains are the size of a pea and they don't always make the connection of feathers and flight.

Tonight, though, I witnessed the miracle.

On my way home from work, there were a ton of turkeys on the side of the road. When I noticed they were taking turns hopping the fence, I grabbed my phone and snapped a photo. Not perfectly focused, but you can see there was actual wing flapping happening! There was a car behind me so I couldn't lolly-gag myself!

It was cool to see, though. I was just grateful they were flying in the opposite direction and not over the road. I've heard if one of them hits your car or windshield it's like getting hit by a bowling ball. Can they fly, too?

I guess if pea-brained turkeys can, bowling balls may be next. Better keep my camera handy.


No comments: