Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Winner, Winner, What's for Dinner?

Two of my best and, at the same time, worst traits are that I am competitive and predictable.

As noted above, December sort of is just a month-long eating contest. Darn my competitive nature. I think I am totally winning!

Which brings me to predictable. I won't even bother looking back at past blogs from the last 6 or 7 Decembers. I can almost guarantee. I can almost predict, rather, that I was having issues with the holiday graze craze. It really is the most wonderful time of the year when it comes to home-baked treats. Oh my gosh. So many yummy, yummy choices. So much mint and chocolate, too. Where to start?

Where to stop? Can I stop?

I think my will power goes right down the drain with my energy and extra cash this time of year. The other day I actually stopped at Culver's for an eggnog shake because I heard McDonald's was out and I considered it a crime if I didn't have one before Christmas. It goes against the law of Christmas cheer or something.

Was it worth it? Probably not.

I did the usual berating of oneself when one is eating like Elf.

That might have played into why I actually got up for 5:40 a.m. kickboxing on Friday. Alas, the martial arts center was closed the next 3 days. So I continued to eat my way through the long Christmas weekend and am coming up for air today.  

Sadly, I can't seem to break the cycle. Am I the only one? My thought pattern is something like this. I try to eat right for the most part and exercise when I can. Just enough of both disciplines for me to feel like I DESERVE these treats this one time of the year. Anyone else feel that?

I won't sugarcoat it – though that might be tasty – but this means there is some level of emotional eating going on here. I deserve this because I am stressed and need it or I have been good and earned it. Either way, it's not because of needed nourishment.

The other bit (not bite) of bad news about this "one time of the year" is that "one time" equals a month! OK, let's be honest. More like 6 weeks spanning from Turkey Day to New Year's Day. Not good, folks.

Obviously, you and I are not the only big "winners" in this competition. Why else would all the diet and exercise products be on sale for New Year's?

Let's just accept it and enjoy the rest of the year. We're into the 6th week here. Can't undo the choices we've made. And frankly, there weren't too many bad ones. Most were delicious beyond measure!

Keep on winning. We have all of January to be big losers. Plus, there's kind of only one way to get rid of these treats around here.

Open wide and say "Ahh-m-m-m."

Winner. Winner. What's for dinner?

No comments: