Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Another Sister?


Why am I getting a selfie with a USGA official? And at her request? It's not really a long story since we were only in each other's lives for maybe 7 minutes.

Before I started my afternoon shift of walking scorer duties, Susan here (the announcer at the first hole) introduced me to the players and caddies in my group. The one girl looked so young to be a caddie, so I asked her about her experience. Turns out she's 16 and she told me she was caddying for her 18-year-old sister. I said something about this is the one time her older sister has to listen to her. She replied, "She never does!"

I told her, "Hey, I have 6 sisters and they don't listen to me either!"

Then USGA lady says, "I have 6 sisters too! And only 1 brother."

Of course I was like, "No way! Same with me!"

Now get this. Her brother is the 4th child and in my family, he's the 5th. But she went nuts when she found out I was a twin and my twin and I were numbers 7 and 8. She said, "We have twins, too, and they're the babies! Oh my gosh, I've never met anyone with the same family configuration of 7 girls and 1 boy, plus the twins. I gotta get our picture!"

So, without holding up the tee time, we had our moment and got our selfies on her phone and mine. It pretty much made her day. If she had all R names, too, I think we would have been BFFs forever and ever. Small world.


Other than that, it was a really meaningful day on the course. I was a fore caddy this morning – basically a ball spotter on a hole that had water and trees in the way. The USGA official there was this feisty retired lawyer – who plays double something bridge – from Hot Springs, Arkansas. She's on the committee for the tournament and we had a very nice morning chatting.


This afternoon my group of three girls was amazing. It must have been my day to get to know people. The parents of my girls (I call them mine) were all super friendly and talking to me. And the girls were too. Just a neat group.

At the end of the day, two of the girls had a chance to make the cut to continue tournament play tomorrow. They and 11 others had to do a sudden-death playoff to vie for two remaining spots. (The tournament brackets 64 players.

The one girl we eliminated on the first hole. The other one is "still alive" after the second hole. It's dark now so I don't know what they're going to do. I'm going to sign off so I can follow along... and finally get 8 hours of sleep!

Unfortunately, my volunteer shifts are done and it's back in the office for me tomorrow. With occasional trips across the street to SentryWorld, no doubt.


No comments: