Monday, September 16, 2019

Birds and Bees... Well Just Bees

 When I was doing some photo shoots at the museum yesterday, a volunteer was working in the gardens. Since I am me, I struck up a conversation while waiting for my photo subjects. She was bee watching – not to be confused with bird watching.

She noted that since it was a cool morning, the bees were moving slowing. I guess that makes sense since I know they are pretty active on hot days. Suddenly she let out a loud whisper (it's a thing) and said, "Oh my! There's a queen bee!"

I'm like, "How can you tell?" She replied, "See how big she is?!"

Well, they all look big to me. Anyway, she ran to her car to get her camera and I just happened to have mine!


So here's a queen bee for you. Looks like she's spread out on the comfy couch for a nap.


Still... I wouldn't mess with her! There were plenty of her loyal subjects around. Moving slowly, yes, but they can fly faster than I can run, I'm quite sure!

She also commented that people her that count bees or whatever noted that a certain kind of bee not seen around here since 1967 was just spotted in the next county over. How do they get that close to them to tell the difference? I guess when you live with someone who carries an Epi-Pen, you don't get that close.

Every had a hobby. While she did hers, I did mine. Might as well stop and smell the flowers – but check for bees first.



Little hornet buzzing around.


Big Daddy Long Legs in top right flowers. I did not kill it, so don't blame me for any rain!



I don't know if this bee is royalty or not. Just glad that despite reports of bee shortages, there are still some around!

We'll just keep our distance and use the zoom!

No comments: