Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Fresh Emotions


Eighteen years and still the emotions are raw on this date. Everyone says "Never Forget 9/11." We're not going to forget that. I'm sure of it. But we are forgetting – some days – the feeling we had that we were all "in this together." Whatever "this" turned out to be.

I found this online and it says it succinctly...


I loved that we cared and that being kind was just a natural way of treating each other. We just appreciated what and who we had. For awhile.

Unfortunately, tragedy on much smaller levels still happens around us. If we are getting stagnant in our gratitude, it quickly gets a reboot. Almost always we are so grateful for who we have in our lives – not what. And we treasure each moment like it's our last. And pray to God it's not.

And that just gives me a lump in my throat while we sit in our empty nest.

Carter must have sensed that. Here I was sitting in the dentist chair after work and I hear the Sweet Child of Mine. I signal the hygienist to stop. "I have to take this call." I told Carter I'd call him back when I was done with my checkup.

And then sat in the parking lot and talked about nothing major. Just talking. And I was getting that lump in my throat again.


You see, when Mr. Senior in College calls me, this is who I'm picturing on the other end of the line. And my heart is so full, it starts to leak tears out of my eyes.

I think: How was I blessed with this? And also think: Please, God, don't take this from me!

I don't know how the friends and families of those lost on 9/11 can cope. Even after almost two decades, there are fresh emotions from average people like me. Just your little neighborly American who loves her country... but God and family first.

Don't just count your blessings on 9/11 or anniversaries of other tragedies. Live in the spirit of 9/12. Every day.

No comments: