Thursday, October 1, 2020

Knock, Knock. Who's There?


Welcome to October. That scary month where the coffee is good, but all the spooky stories make boost my goose bumps into overdrive! It's not for wimps.

So it was no surprise I was a bit freaked today when I heard knocking outside my office window. Then I heard it outside hubby's office next door. There wasn't anyone out there – thank God – but I soon discovered a few unwanted guests, trying to do a little lunchtime curbside (or house side) pickup on Blue Jay Drive. Undeterred by the rain.

*Insert maniacal Woody Woodpecker laugh here*

And of course I took pictures... out my kitchen window...


First, was this guy, known as the red-bellied woodpecker – according to my sources on birdfeederhub.com. These are found year-round throughout most of Wisconsin. Their colors are pretty pale overall, but they do have bright red caps that stand out, as well as bold black barring on their backs. They do have a red patch on their belly, but it is not often visible. They’re often found in mixed woodlands and forest, along the main branches of trees and near the trunks. And near home office windows!

These woodpeckers have a unique trait. They store extra rations in tree cavities and holes to last them throughout the winter. So that means the tiny hole in our front yard tree is about to get bigger.
 

He/she is pretty, though.



"Oh I'm due for a trip to the chiro-pecker."



Then this guy came along right after Red left the scene...


These poor guys are just known as hairy woodpeckers – if I have my identification right. And I think I do. Some have spots of red on the head and some don't (according to my comparison of pictures on the Internet). But all have the black and white patterned plumage. Though Hairy Woodpeckers are pretty common and are found year-round in Wisconsin, they tend to occur less frequently than Downy Woodpeckers. They require taller trees in their habitat and aren’t as likely to visit parks and suburbs — though they will visit the occasional feeder AND home office wood-framed window!

They’re often found in forests and woodlands, near the main branches and trunks of big trees. Like most woodpeckers, they rely on wood-boring insects found underneath tree bark. Listen for their energetic hammering on wood or their sharp, “peek” call to locate them. I'd go with the hammering on wood that scares the daylights out of you.




I did a walk-around tonight and I did not see any damage – yet – to siding or window frames. I'm guessing the tree-filled backyard has some additional holes, with more progress and size than this one.

As long as they stick to trees and to a non-rooster type sleep schedule, I'm good. 

Side note: No more spooky surprises, OK October?

No comments: